On July 19, 2021, the Canadian Government announced changes to requirements for international students who will be entering Canada for their studies this fall semester.
Requirements to Enter
International students will need to show the following to be able to enter Canada for their studies:
- valid study permit or letter of introduction showing approval for a study permit; and
- proof of attendance at a designated learning institution (DLI) that has an approved COVID-19 readiness plan (see here for more details)
Students must also check whether there are any travel restrictions in place for their country.
Each DLI’s COVID-19 readiness plan will detail how the institution intends to manage the quarantine period for international students, including transportation, accommodations, and food. Students are encouraged to contact their institution for assistance in developing their quarantine plan before travelling to Canada. Students must submit their quarantine via the ArriveCAN app before travelling to Canada.
Every international student must have a 14-day quarantine plan if it is determined at the border that they do not meet all conditions for a quarantine exemption. This is the case even for those students who believe they meet criteria for being considered a fully vaccinated traveller.
To be eligible for exemptions, fully vaccinated travellers must still meet pre-entry and on-arrival testing requirements, including being tested within 72 hours pre-departure. They must also be asymptomatic, submit all required documentation through ArriveCan prior to travel, have a paper/digital proof of vaccination, and a suitable quarantine plan. Additional details on who Canada considers to be fully vaccinated can be found here.
New Changes to Public Health Measures
As of August 9, 2021, Canada will implement new measures for travellers, including international students:
- Elimination of 3-night government-authorized hotel stay
- Implementation of surveillance randomized testing regime for fully vaccinated travellers who are permitted to enter Canada at select airports and land border crossings. Unvaccinated travellers will continue to be subject to mandatory on-arrival and day 8 testing
- Ability for individuals who have recovered from COVID-19, but continue to test positive, to present positive COVID-19 molecular test result on specimen taken 14-180 days before arriving in Canada as part of pre-entry test requirements