Foreign national students wishing to complete courses or a degree in Canada with a study period of longer than six months will likely require a Student Permit in order to do so. This must be applied for prior to your entry into Canada and will require an acceptance letter from the educational institution in Canada. Often, proof of payment of tuition fees and sufficient financial resources will also be required as there are strict restrictions on the opportunity to work while studying.

Other requirements include a medical examination as well as the need to satisfy the officer that you will return to your country of nationality after the completion of the study period. A visa will also be required if necessary from your country of origin.