On July 15, 2021, IRCC announced that starting on July 26, 2021, those who have applied for the recently-opened pathway to Canadian permanent residence are eligible for a one-time open work permit while awaiting the decision on their PR application.
On May 6, 2021, IRCC opened a new PR pathway for international students who graduated from a Canadian institution, health care workers, and those in other designated essential occupations. To qualify, applicants must have been legally working in Canada at the time of their application and must maintain temporary resident status until their PR application is decided.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to qualify for the open work permit:
- submitted an application under one of the new PR pathway streams
- held valid work permit, or were authorized to work without one, at the time their PR application was submitted
- hold a valid work permit that is set to expire within the next four months
- have temporary resident status, maintained status or are eligible to restore their status at the time their open work permit application is submitted
- currently inside Canada when open work permit application is submitted
- were employed when PR application was submitted
- meet language requirements of stream under which they applied at the time their PR application was submitted